Explanation of Grades Of Walks
Grade C: Up to5 hrs
duration, 6-8km in length, 1 ascent during the day.
- Reasonable level of fitness required.
- Shorter than A & B grade walks.
- Slower pace & more stops.
- No very steep ground or gullies.
- Suitable for newcomers & club members
who want an easier walk.
- Introduction to club for new members.
- New members wishing to move to higher
grades of walk may do so after completing a minimum of two “C” walks &
having a suitable level of fitness.
- Chance to become familiar with mountain
skills & help the leader.
Grade B: Approx 6 hrs, 8-12
km in length, 1-2 ascents during the day.
- Walkers must be more confident with steep
ground & have a good level of mountain fitness.
- Hillwalking day out.
- Longer than C grade walks.
- More climbing & less stops.
- Steeper ground – ridges & easy
- Participants expected to be properly
equipped for the grade of walk.
- Individuals should have a sense of group
Grade A: Approx 6-8 hrs,
10-15 km in length, possibly several ascents may be made during the day.
Helmets may be required!
- Very good level of mountain fitness &
- Longer day on mountain with faster pace
& less stops.
- May involve scrambling or in summer
- Helmets may be required for a particular
walk (this will be advertised in advance on the Walks Calendar).
- Participants are expected to have a good
level of personal gear e.g. must be self-sufficient on the mountains in
all seasons / weather.
- It is up to members to invest in equipment
such as helmets, harness, crampons, etc if they wish to further their
- The group will have to be prepared to
share hardware such as a rope, etc. if needed on the day.
- Participants must be aware of the extra
Over 8 hrs, over 15km, possibly ascending & descending continuously all
- An extremely good level of mountain
fitness & endurance is required.
- These walks may only be run a few times a
year during the long summer days.
- “Trans-Comeragh” & “All Comeragh Lakes
in One Day” walks, etc.